The MTU Legend Series did double-duty in 2007 and won big in its second season. The series, which was originally conceived as a unique billfishing “tournament-within-a-tournament” for MTU and Detroit Diesel powered sport fishing boats, doubled the number of high-profile billfishing tournaments involved, making the MTU Legend Series the year’s hot ticket.
“Our original vision was to create a contest to provide some additional fun and excitement for our customers while demonstrating our commitment to sport fishing,” said Steve Lawrence, Marine Sales Manager for MTU Detroit Diesel, Inc. “With 14 of the most popular billfishing tournaments on-tap, hundreds of participating boats, thousands of anglers and almost 1,500 billfish caught and released in just two years the Legend Series has become a huge success.
”The 2007 Legend Series was presented by MTU and eight of its authorized U.S. distributors. Fourteen individual tournaments were sponsored by MTU as part of the event, twice the number of 2006. The tournaments ranged along the East Coast and Gulf Coast of the United States, from New Jersey to Mississippi, with additional stops in the Bahamas, Bermuda and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
The Legend Series was open to any boat entered into one or more of those 14 tournaments, provided it was powered by MTU or Detroit Diesel engines. There was no additional cost to participate in the Legend Series, and entrants who accumulated the highest number of total points for their respective catches in these events also received Legend Series points. Points accumulated counted towards the grand prize, an all-expenses-paid sportfishing trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.
The winner of that grand prize for the 2007 Legend Series was Captain Tim Hake and the crew of Fin-Ness a 58′ Gillikin powered by twin MTU Series 60s. Fin-Ness took the overall title with great fishing that led to a second place win in the White Marlin Open and a first place finish at the Mid Atlantic $500,000.
Additional sponsors for the 2007 Legend Series included Pelagic High Performance Offshore Gear, yacht design firm Applied Concepts Unleashed Inc., Guy Harvey Inc. and In the Bite Magazine. Charitable foundation partners included The Billfish Foundation and The Guy Harvey Research Institute.
For tournament information and more details on the MTU Legend Series, visit www.mtulegendseries.com.
MTU Detroit Diesel has announced that its popular Legend Series billfishing tournament-within-a-tournament will return in 2007 with an expanded line-up that stretches from coast to coast. The series was such a huge hit with East Coast sport fishing enthusiasts that the company has decided to make the 2007 series bigger and better by adding six more tournaments and including big game anglers on the west coast.
The tournaments included in the 2007 Legend Series are:
- Missippi Gulf Coast Billfish Tournament (June 6-10 in Biloxi, MS)
- Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament (June 6-10 in Morehead City, NC)
- Emerald Coast Blue Marlin Classic at Sandestin (June 19-24 in Sandestin, FL)
- Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina Billfish Tournament (June 27-30 in Charleston, SC)
- Bermuda Billfish Blast (July 2-4 in Bermuda)
- HMY / Viking Megadock (July 11-14 in Charleston, SC)
- Bermuda Big Game Classic (July 11-15 in Bermuda)
- Bay Point Billfish Invitational Tournament (July 11-15 in Panama City, FL)
- White Marlin Open (August 5-11 in Ocean City, MD)
- Pirate’s Cove Billfish Tournament (August 14-17 in Manteo, NC)
- Mid-Atlantic $500,000 (August 19-24 in Cape May, NJ)
- Virginia Beach Billfish Tournament (August 22-25 in Virginia Beach, VA)
- Black & Blue Marlin Tournament (October 23-27 in Cabo San Lucas, MEX)
Last year’s series included seven of the most popular and prestigious sport fishing tournaments on the East Coast, from New Jersey to Florida. The expanded 2007 Legend Series will once again be presented by MTU Detroit Diesel and several of its authorized distributors and is open to any boat powered by an MTU or Detroit Diesel engine.
“The Legend Series is a unique tournament-within-a-tournament – a high end contest for high end boats and serious anglers.” said Steve Mazepink, MTU Detroit Diesel Marine Sales Manager, “This is really our way of demonstrating our commitment to the sport fishing community, plus it’s just a whole lot of fun.”
Anglers who accumulate the highest number of total points for their respective catches in this year’s 12 event schedule will be eligible for prizes awarded by MTU and series sponsors. The grand prize, an all-expenses-paid luxury sport fishing trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, was won last year by William Burris of Palm Beach, Florida and the crew of his 60’ Bertram yacht, Melina.
Burris will be in very good company for the 2007 Legend Series when he and his fellow sportsman drop lines in this year’s Legend Series that now includes the West Coast finale in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico at Bisbee’s Black & Blue Marlin Tournament, which boasts the largest payout for any sport fishing competition in North America.
“It’s going to be more exciting, more fun and more rewarding for our customers than ever before,” promises Mazepink. “That’s really saying something, given the rave reviews from anglers who enjoyed last year’s series.”In addition to the customary MTU hospitality, Legend Series mobile displays at select events will boast interactive features like music, video and up-to-date electronic leader boards. There will also be a charity tie-in like last year benefiting The Billfish Foundation, a non-profit conservation group.
For more information, visit www.mtulegendseries.com.
- EMP Awarded Contracts for “miniHybrid” Thermal System Retrofits
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATES COGNITIVE SELF-STRUCTURING ANTENNA TECHNOLOGY
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES’ Develops New Mesh Communications Solution
- MTU at MINExpo: Showcasing Safety, Reliability
- MTU’s Series 8000 is best in class with 12,200 bhp
- EMP Collaborates with New Flyer Industries Inc. on Launch of “mini-Hybrid,” the Next Generation Thermal Cooling System for Transit Bus Market
- United Road Receives EPA Smartway Green Certification
- MTU Meets EPA Tier 4i Emissions with SCR Technology
- MTU Powers BL20GH Locomotives from Brookville Equipment (Pictures)
- 2007 MTU Legend Series Wins Big
- MTU Powers Deepwater National Security Cutter
- American Axle & Manufacturing Introduces New Exclusive 3.42 PowerDense® Gear Set Designed to Improve Fuel Economy – AAPEX Show Booth #1458