On January 1, 2006, the former Off-Highway division of Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) was spun off as a separate, new company: MTU Detroit Diesel, Inc. The division had already changed its name to “MTU Detroit Diesel” in January 2005, and had been operating as part of the DaimlerChrysler Off-Highway business unit. The new company is now a subsidiary of its former sister company MTU Friedrichshafen, headquartered in Germany.
The move prepared the way for MTU Detroit Diesel to be included in the sale of the former DaimlerChrysler Off-Highway (subsequently renamed the Tognum Group) to private equity firm EQT Partners in March.“We are tremendously excited about the direction we are headed,” said Ulrich Kemnitz, CEO of MTU Detroit Diesel, Inc. “MTU Detroit Diesel has experienced a lot of recent success, and I believe this move positions us to increase that momentum. And with the added investment in capital, research and development that EQT brings, we will be able to maintain our position as technology leaders and deliver even more value to our customers going forward.
”MTU Detroit Diesel will retain its headquarters and manufacturing operations in Detroit, Michigan. Its sales and service network also remains unchanged, with 25 North American distributors serving the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Adds Kemnitz: “Our roots inDetroit stretch back to 1938, and we are proud to carry on the same heritage and tradition that has made both MTU and Detroit Diesel respected names in the off-highway engine and systems business.”
- EMP Awarded Contracts for “miniHybrid” Thermal System Retrofits
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATES COGNITIVE SELF-STRUCTURING ANTENNA TECHNOLOGY
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES’ Develops New Mesh Communications Solution
- MTU at MINExpo: Showcasing Safety, Reliability
- MTU’s Series 8000 is best in class with 12,200 bhp
- EMP Collaborates with New Flyer Industries Inc. on Launch of “mini-Hybrid,” the Next Generation Thermal Cooling System for Transit Bus Market
- United Road Receives EPA Smartway Green Certification
- MTU Meets EPA Tier 4i Emissions with SCR Technology
- MTU Powers BL20GH Locomotives from Brookville Equipment (Pictures)
- 2007 MTU Legend Series Wins Big
- MTU Powers Deepwater National Security Cutter
- American Axle & Manufacturing Introduces New Exclusive 3.42 PowerDense® Gear Set Designed to Improve Fuel Economy – AAPEX Show Booth #1458