DETROIT – MTU will display its innovative line of power solutions for the mining industry at booth 8907 in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center at the MINExpo exhibition, September 22-24. The engine line up will include all three configurations (12, 16 and 20 cylinders) of the latest generation of its Series 4000 engine family, along with a Series 2000 industrial engine and an Underground Optimized™ Series 900 engine.
The latest version of the Series 4000 is EPA Tier 2 certified and has a revolutionary thermal protection system that is unrivalled in this segment. Using a liquid-cooled exhaust system, it keeps the surface temperature of the engine below 200 degrees Celsius, preventing any oil or diesel fuel that might leak onto the engine surface, from igniting due to engine heat. This significantly reduces the risk of fire hazard for mining trucks, enhancing operator safety and protecting the customer’s investment.
The new Series 4000 also boasts greater power density and reliability. The 12, 16 and 20 cylinder versions have maximum horsepower ratings of 2,250 bhp, 3,000 bhp and 3,750 bhp (1,680 kW, 2,240 kW and 2,800 kW), respectively. In addition, they have been designed to rigorous standards and depending on the specific mining application, have an average life of 20,000 – 40,000 hours before first overhaul.
The high fuel efficiency of the Series 4000 is due to a fuel-injection system that automatically adjusts to the optimal combustion ratios with the help of electronic engine management. This guarantees low fuel consumption combined with low exhaust emissions. On average, the Series 4000 is between 5% and 15% more fuel efficient than its competitors, resulting in substantial cost savings over the life of the engine.
Another benefit of the Series 4000 engine series is that it is a true engine family. A single standardized set of parts is used in each of the three engine cylinder sizes, whether they are operating in excavators, haul trucks or front-end loaders, and whether they are operating at high altitude or sea level. This allows customers to reduce inventory costs by stocking one set of spare parts instead of several sets based on the types of engines in use.
In addition to the Series 4000, the Series 2000 is also a mainstay of MTU’s portfolio of products serving the mining industry. Used extensively in North American quarries, 12 and 16 cylinder Series 2000 engines power 65 and 100 ton trucks with a fuel consumption rate that is the best in the industry.
MTU’s product line for the mining industry also includes its Underground Optimized™ engines, designed specifically to meet the needs of underground mining operations. These engines are MSHA and CANMET certified, provide optimal ventilation rates and are extremely clean-running. Most importantly, they are optimized to meet the unique needs of underground mining applications.
MTU provides support for its entire product range through its unrivaled global service network. Genuine factory parts, filters and fluids are available for all current and legacy products, including the popular MTU Detroit Diesel 2-cycle engine family.
- EMP Awarded Contracts for “miniHybrid” Thermal System Retrofits
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATES COGNITIVE SELF-STRUCTURING ANTENNA TECHNOLOGY
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES’ Develops New Mesh Communications Solution
- MTU at MINExpo: Showcasing Safety, Reliability
- MTU’s Series 8000 is best in class with 12,200 bhp
- EMP Collaborates with New Flyer Industries Inc. on Launch of “mini-Hybrid,” the Next Generation Thermal Cooling System for Transit Bus Market
- United Road Receives EPA Smartway Green Certification
- MTU Meets EPA Tier 4i Emissions with SCR Technology
- MTU Powers BL20GH Locomotives from Brookville Equipment (Pictures)
- 2007 MTU Legend Series Wins Big
- MTU Powers Deepwater National Security Cutter
- American Axle & Manufacturing Introduces New Exclusive 3.42 PowerDense® Gear Set Designed to Improve Fuel Economy – AAPEX Show Booth #1458