MTU received certification today from EPA for the first independently certified, high-speed rail engine. The low-emission 12V4000 R33 engine is optimized for the rail industry and meets EPA’s Tier 2 emission standard (40 CFR 92).
“This is the first time EPA has certified to Tier 2 emission limits a stand-alone, high-speed engine for use in locomotive applications,” said Doug Berry, MTU Detroit Diesel Rail Sales Manager. “Certifying the engine itself, instead of the locomotive as a whole, provides OEMs and operators the flexibility to use this engine in any locomotive application, whether for re-powers or new construction.”
With MTU’s experience in the European rail business and leadership in today’s clean diesel technologies, the introduction of its new Series 4000 rail engine allows the company to offer a certified engine that is ideally suited for the new emissions challenges posed by the North American rail market.
The new MTU 12V4000 R33 engine provides 2,250 horsepower at 1,800 rpm and has the latest in common rail fuel injection systems, advanced turbocharging and Advanced Diesel Engine Controls (ADEC) electronics for cleaner, more efficient operations.“MTU has been a leading force in developing clean diesel technology,” said Berry. “The technology in our new rail engines has been used on rails worldwide and in numerous other applications, from mining trucks to tug boats. That proven track record gives us an edge over the competition and provides peace of mind for our customers.”
The Series 4000 engines have been optimized for use in the rail market by:
- Adding water-cooled exhaust and turbochargers to reduce engine skin operating temperatures and provide unprecedented safety.
- Employing MTU’s patented, second-generation common rail fuel injection system for better fuel efficiency.
- Utilizing a self-cleaning oil filtration system to reduce maintenance downtime.
- Designing the turbocharger and exhaust outlets to be reversible to allow for more installation flexibility for locomotive builders.
- EMP Awarded Contracts for “miniHybrid” Thermal System Retrofits
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATES COGNITIVE SELF-STRUCTURING ANTENNA TECHNOLOGY
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES’ Develops New Mesh Communications Solution
- MTU at MINExpo: Showcasing Safety, Reliability
- MTU’s Series 8000 is best in class with 12,200 bhp
- EMP Collaborates with New Flyer Industries Inc. on Launch of “mini-Hybrid,” the Next Generation Thermal Cooling System for Transit Bus Market
- United Road Receives EPA Smartway Green Certification
- MTU Meets EPA Tier 4i Emissions with SCR Technology
- MTU Powers BL20GH Locomotives from Brookville Equipment (Pictures)
- 2007 MTU Legend Series Wins Big
- MTU Powers Deepwater National Security Cutter
- American Axle & Manufacturing Introduces New Exclusive 3.42 PowerDense® Gear Set Designed to Improve Fuel Economy – AAPEX Show Booth #1458