“Iron Men”: MTU Series 4000 Engines Prove Their Mettle
The MTU Detroit Diesel exhibit at this year’s International WorkBoat Show featured a display showing the interior of a Series 4000 diesel engine. Remarkably, though it looks like new, the cutaway comes from an engine that had been operated for more than 30,000 hours.
Bremerhaven, Germany, where it was one of two engines providing 1,180 bhp at 1,800 rpm. The engines accomplished their 30,000-plus hours without an overhaul, while in steady use moving up to 300 passengers and 20 vehicles at a time.The Series 4000 was first developed in 1996 as a joint venture between MTU Friedrichshafen GmbH and the off-highway division of Detroit Diesel Corporation (now MTU Detroit Diesel). German and American engineering combined to create an efficient design that was years ahead of its time and has only gotten better with age.
“We call these engines ‘Iron Men’, because they’re so durable,” said Jeff Sherman, Sales Manager for MTU Detroit Diesel’s Workboat Division. “Over the years, they have developed quite a reputation, and you can see that reflected in the confidence of our customers, from longtime partners like Sause Bros., Catalina Express and Wilmington Tug to recent contracts with Signet Maritime, SEACOR Marine and Moran Towing.”
“What is most remarkable about the Series 4000 Workboat Edition is that it has been able to offer the dependability that workboat customer’s demand, while simultaneously offering industry-leading emissions levels and fuel economy,” adds Barney Bentgen, Vice President of Marine Sales.The Series 4000 Workboat Edition meets EPA Tier 2 emissions requirements. It comes in 8-, 12- and 16-cylinder configurations covering a power range from 670 to 3,110 bhp (500 to 2,320 kW).
No comments yet.
- EMP Awarded Contracts for “miniHybrid” Thermal System Retrofits
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATES COGNITIVE SELF-STRUCTURING ANTENNA TECHNOLOGY
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES’ Develops New Mesh Communications Solution
- MTU at MINExpo: Showcasing Safety, Reliability
- MTU’s Series 8000 is best in class with 12,200 bhp
- EMP Collaborates with New Flyer Industries Inc. on Launch of “mini-Hybrid,” the Next Generation Thermal Cooling System for Transit Bus Market
- United Road Receives EPA Smartway Green Certification
- MTU Meets EPA Tier 4i Emissions with SCR Technology
- MTU Powers BL20GH Locomotives from Brookville Equipment (Pictures)
- 2007 MTU Legend Series Wins Big
- MTU Powers Deepwater National Security Cutter
- American Axle & Manufacturing Introduces New Exclusive 3.42 PowerDense® Gear Set Designed to Improve Fuel Economy – AAPEX Show Booth #1458