New Signet Tractor Tugs to Feature MTU Series 4000
MTU Detroit Diesel has recently signed a contract with Signet Maritime Corporation of Houston, Texas to supply diesel engines for a pair of new Robert Allen designed Advanced Z-drive tractor tugs, with an agreement to power 3 additional tugs in the near future. All the vessels will be added to the Signet fleet to help celebrate 30 years of GulfCoast tug service.
The new tractor tugs will each be powered by twin MTU 16V4000 M71 engines capable of producing continuous 3,305 horsepower at 2,000 rpm. The engines are married to twin Niigata ZP41/Dual Modulation Clutch drives that will turn the tugs 107-inch propellers. Through the use ofNiigata’s step down reduction gears the Z-drives will be able to utilize the full performance range and continuous horsepower of each MTU engine without interruption.
“When it comes to servicing our ship, energy and other offshore marine customers, downtime is not a word we like to use.” said Barry Snyder, Signet’s President. “We designed these tugs so when they are delivered next year, they will be the most advanced and reliable docking tugs on the entire GulfCoast.
”The two tractor tugs will be built at J.M. Martinac Shipbuilding in Tacoma, Washington. The tugs will be 98 feet long, have a beam of 40 feet and a hull depth of 17 feet 5 inches with a working draft of 17 feet. In addition, the vessels have a design speed of 12 knots and can provide 80 metric tons of bollard pull. Each tug will be certified ABS Maltese Cross A1, AMS and FiFi 1 classed.
The first two tugs are slated to be completed in November of 2007 and March 2008. They will be employed in the company’s growing ship docking, rig transport and harbor services activities along the Gulf Coast focusing on tankers, bulkers, LNG and large drilling and production rigs. Like Signet’s other tugs in its current fleet, the new vessels will all be named after former
America’s Cup winners.
No comments yet.
- EMP Awarded Contracts for “miniHybrid” Thermal System Retrofits
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATES COGNITIVE SELF-STRUCTURING ANTENNA TECHNOLOGY
- APPLIED MESH TECHNOLOGIES’ Develops New Mesh Communications Solution
- MTU at MINExpo: Showcasing Safety, Reliability
- MTU’s Series 8000 is best in class with 12,200 bhp
- EMP Collaborates with New Flyer Industries Inc. on Launch of “mini-Hybrid,” the Next Generation Thermal Cooling System for Transit Bus Market
- United Road Receives EPA Smartway Green Certification
- MTU Meets EPA Tier 4i Emissions with SCR Technology
- MTU Powers BL20GH Locomotives from Brookville Equipment (Pictures)
- 2007 MTU Legend Series Wins Big
- MTU Powers Deepwater National Security Cutter
- American Axle & Manufacturing Introduces New Exclusive 3.42 PowerDense® Gear Set Designed to Improve Fuel Economy – AAPEX Show Booth #1458